This will be the first of many posts where I record and track my diet, exercise, and health activities and metrics as I strive to find what works for me and helps me feel the most alive. For a history of my health issues that I want to remedy, see this post. you will notice that most of the food logs I post will be for days that I am eating as close to ideal as I know how because I am seeking to learn what combinations of real food are the most nutritious. On the days that I know I am eating a ton of crap, and there will be plenty of them, I rarely record what I eat because I already know that what I’m eating is deficient. So don’t get the idea that my food logs are representative of what I eat all the time. They are aspirational but not a reflection of my everyday consumption, though that is what I am working towards.
Weight: 130.7 lbs.
Waking BG: 86 mg/dL
Exercise: This Fitness Blender abs video followed by 10 minutes on the treadmill.
Breakfast: I’ve been experimenting somewhat with intermittent fasting and additionally, I’ve read that exercising while fasting burns more fat so I’ve been eating my breakfast quite late. This is what I had:
- 62 g wilted spinach
- 112 g steam fried eggs (3 medium)
- 62 g yogurt, whole milk, grassfed organic
- 6 g chia seeds
- 3 g psyllium husks
- 100 g fresh strawberries
- 30 g toast, whole wheat sourdough
- 3 g butter
- 1 c dandelion root tea
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1/4 c whole milk, organic grassfed
- 1 tsp maple syrup
After Breakfast (1 hour) BG: 104 mg/dL
After Breakfast (1.5 hour) BG: 87 mg/dL
- 1 bottle (2 cups) kombucha; home brewed grape and hibiscus
- 14 g almonds
- 169 g salmon; pan blackened with 1 tsp of creole seasoning
- avocado salsa (105 g avocado, 1 g garlic, 4 g canned jalapeño, 4 g lime juice, 2 g parsley, 3 dashes of salt)
- 162 g yam, boiled and mashed with 3 g butter
- 60 g wilted spinach
- smoothie (141 g cantaloupe, 66 g banana, 13 g capra mineral whey, 1/2 cup whole milk, 1 cup coconut water, 6 g lime juice, 23 g blackstrap molasses)
After Dinner (1 hour) BG: 102 mg/dL
Plus, I drank a quart of water.
Exercise: another 20 minutes on the treadmill before bed